Quote:
Quote:
Being able to check traffic density before you head out is really useful. Every first world country should have it.

Cameras do a pretty poor job of monitoring overall traffic. They can help focus in on what might be causing it (unreported accident, mass of animals in the highway, whatever)

Quote:
The cameras on the major highway in Colorado Springs were pretty worthless, since you had to look at tons of images, and still not have a good picture of your entire commute.

To me it doesn't matter what it causing it, if it's gridlocked then I know to avoid it and use another route. I rarely need to see the whole route, just the hotspots.

Quote:
From what I understand, the use of CCTV was started by the Brittish government in the 70s, due to the IRA attacks of the time. And while the system didn't stop the 7/7/05 bombings, it did help to find those that attempted the 21/7/05 bombings. I do have to question why so much surveillance is needed though. One of the many differences between US and UK culture I suppose.

Of the cities I know, CCTV of that complexity has only really been round in the last 10 or so years. I feel safer walking through the city center late at night as a result.

Why anyone would have a problem with it is beyond me.... unless they've got something to hide. I highly doubt Big Brother gives a toss that I went to WH Smiths this afternoon.

Andy M