Quote:
Quote:
I consider a "sequel" to be any movie made after the original in an effort to make more money from the original concept/theme/characters/story. So, i would consider "Batman Begins" (never saw it) to be a sequel from a business/money sense.

Well, I guess that's the jaded way to look at it.

I plead guilty. I know that normal folks never have jaded thoughts about the shining city on a hill that is Hollywood, but I just can't shake them. Guilty, guilty, guilty.

Quote:
I prefer the artistic sense. I personally would never consider Batman Begins a sequel. Does that mean you'd consider this to be a sequel to this? I'd say it does according to your definition, but I think the general population wouldn't define it that way.

I would classify that more as a remake. If, after some decent interval, somebody looks back in the body of cinematic and telecast art and decides that they can do a better job with Batman or Gone With the Wind, I have no truck with that. So long as the resurrecting effort doesn't like totally blow chunks.

My initial post was more to assess the case where Producer X makes Film A and it makes some money and then contemplates a follow up, Film B, whether it is a prequel or sequel in the strict sense. And how often do these attempts to mine the vein of opening weekend gold at least roughly equal the original or earlier efforts.

On advice of trusted associates, I never saw the 3rd or 4th entries in the Alien canon, but I hear that some greedly mogul would have done well to let Ellen Ripley go out a winner. Matrix #2 and #3? Anybody see 'em? And come away satisfied?

In well-timed news (George follows this BBS closely I'm told) I hear Lucas is going to make a couple more Star Wars flicks. Sequels? Prequels? I don't want to guess, but would you predict: Super awesome...or...sucko-barfo?

And when is Jerry Bruckheimer gonna get off his ass and remake Moby Dick?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.