The displays were all updated last year. They didn't say "boo" about it and for good reason. There's no need to. All the new displays now support HDCP and are ready for Apple's move into HD content distribution. That will come from iTunes. The last piece missing is enabling HDCP on their machines, including AppleTV. No small feat and impossible for many older models and unfortunately, every mini ever produced.

The MacBook standard and Pro lines received the same incremental updates the iBook and PowerBooks before them used to receive. Look at Apple's release history. There are two updates for each portable line per year. One in the spring and one in the fall. A number of features didn't come to fruition for the previous round of updates and are again missing from these latest offerings. LED backlighting finally made it out, but dumping features is nothing new. I saw 1920 resolution 17" models and 1680 15" some two years ago. For whatever reason they weren't released. Knowing Apple's it was probably for quality issues, perhaps battery usage. The G5 PowerBooks I saw (in person) were dumped for power usage and heat issues - something that was likely an easy kill with the Intel transition looming.

Not a single portable producer makes hardware of a similar calibre. The MacBook line still holds a very high marketshare and is the envy of every notebook owner around the globe. Prices are respectable and easily compared now as well.

The Leopard delays have nothing to do with the iPhone, but I supposed that's the corporate line. The OS was just further behind schedule than they had hoped, but engineers were not pulled to work on the iPhone as has been advertised. A number of extra features have also made it into the OS that were definitely not part of the original plans.

WWDC is not a place for hardware announcements generally speaking. Usually WWDC is used to debut hardware when it's delayed or to pre-announce fall hardware when the conference is run later in the summer. The iMac isn't in need of a redesign, IMO. They do need new mini models able to support HDCP though.

The iPhone is going to be a mind-boggling success. I can't believe the traction in mindshare it's already achieved and it's not even yet available. Every handset manufacturer should be very afraid of the same type of smackdown the ipod gave the portable music business. That's not an understatement by any stretch of the imagination. I have my doubts Palm will be around very much longer. I'm probably not the first person to suggest starting a Palm death-watch.

Porting Safari to Windows was likely a very easy move for Apple and seems like a no brainer to gain some share points. I suspect they'll be able to capture a measurable third place position behind Firefox. I suspect some of the points will come from FFX's share as well. They should really do something about the interface, but anyone getting used to iTunes will probably get along fine with it. I'm not a fan of its interface even on the Mac and instead use Camino.