I understood that iPhone web-apps could be self-contained and downloaded to the iPhone. So it would be possible to create apps that didn't need the network at all. If the apps can have access to incoming calls and cause the phone to dial out, that assumes you're not already on an EDGE connection. Most people blabbing about this seem to ignore that aspect and assume the apps must be loaded from the internet in-use.

IMO, most people talking about the lack of an SDK just want to hear themselves talk. It's not something that's going to impact sales and it's not something 99.9% of consumers are going to care about whatsoever. Apps will be available from Apple and approved third parties. That's already been confirmed.

I haven't seen anyone mention specifically what apps they would like to see on the iPhone that are not already included or likely to be included. That is, other than VOIP that I already mentioned from day one.

The phone isn't out. Primary reason for lack of SDK is time to develop one. Secondary reason is to be able to lock out certain application classes until the handset is established - this is to appease ATT who would like shit a brick if everyone was using VOIP on a WiFi connection. The presence of WiFi also somewhat negates the need for faster data access of the cell network.