Quote:
But if you don't, turn it off.

Knowing Apple, you won't be able to turn it off. OS X is not known for allowing people to change the inter...

woah...

sorry, distracted by the little resizer in the bottom right of this form using Safari 3. Thats really cool.

Anyhow, Apple normally doesn't build much into the system to change the look, and people have to resort to 3rd party programs to do it, ones that usually hook into some odd things to get the job done. After having APE cause some weird issues with X11 in 10.2, and wasting an Apple engineers time debugging it, I swore off such apps. At least in Vista, I can turn off much of it, and change a lot more before resorting to 3rd party apps.

Yeah, forward progress does have to be made by the UI, I'm just disappointed to see nothing really new in 10.5 UI functional wise. Sheets were slick as hell when 10.0 was new, the genie effect while being eye candy shows where the app goes, and so on. Exposé was a nice addition as well for 10.3. But what purpose does a reflective dock serve beyond possibly eating more battery life by keeping the GPU busier. (As pointed out by DWallach.)

Quote:
Amusing thought: given that Vista Aero has been shown to chew up more power (a non-trivial issue on laptops), the question is whether Apple's system has similar issues.

Quote:
The one thing I'll add is that one of the macrumors.com livebloggers said that the head of the iPhone software dev team had trouble typing on the keyboard during the demo. That's all I needed to see to realize that the iPhone isn't for me.

So after watching the keynote, it was clear the person was a bit nervous doing the demo and was shaking slightly. All it really proved is the keyboard isn't going to be usable during an earthquake, or when doing a presentation in front of a few thousand people while nervous.