I agree that there are some issues with the way Mobile Safari displays web pages.

But I have to say... You gain a much better appreciation for it once you've seen any of the Windows Mobile IE versions try to display a complex web site. I've given up on trying to make my web sites work in mobile IE.

Honestly, I think Mobile Safari did a pretty darn good job of managing all the compromises needed for that kind of situation. Mobile Safari is is the reason I bought an iPod Touch and later an iPhone: It was the only pocket browser that got me close to being able to browse the web decently.

I happen to like some of the non-uniform stuff that Safari does, because it makes the text more readable on the smaller screen. I understand how it might make cracks appear in a puzzled-together web site, though, and yeah, that's annoying. My solution would just be to design the site so it more or less works on iPhones, but without trying to do any special-case code for the iPhone. As long as the site is navigable, readable, and not hugely messed up on the iPhone, I'd say that was good enough.