Wow, that's a lot of work to maintain the alphaloader without javascript to apply it. It means you have to hand-tune each and every image you use it with. It also means it won't work with a background image. Almost every image I use now in site design is a background image.

Originally Posted By: tfabris
I mean I've got two versions of each image: A transparent GIF with jaggy edges, and a transparent PNG with nice smooth edges. IE5 and earlier IE's get the GIF, everyone else gets the PNG. IE6 is a special case that uses that DirectX call.

You're one dedicated guy. wink Personally, I feel totally justified in letting anyone running IE5 get what they get. I don't think I've ever even tested any page in the past 5 years with any IE5 Windows variant. I tested briefly a few years ago with IE 5.5 on the Mac to see how it blew up completely on my corporate site though. smile

Microsoft should adopt Webkit. I think in the new year I'm going to stop testing in IE6 except to make sure my warning DIV comes up properly.

All browser tech moves too slowly though. I'd like to see support for JPEG2000 and JPEG XR (formerly Microsoft's Photo HD) come sooner rather than later. I won't hold my breath though. PNG is over 10 years old and only recently can be considered a viable default image type. I used PNG exclusively for the design of my site in spring 2006, just before the 10th anniversary of the final 1.0 spec.

BTW, anyone using PNG should also run their images through OptiPNG, PNG Crunch and advPNG. The purpose is to strip out metadata, color profile data and compress the images as much as possible, while maintaining full quality. You'd be surprised how much space you can save. Also, if anyone is using Adobe software to savve PNGs, under no circumstances should you ever "Save" or "Save As" to make your images. You must create the pre-final PNGs using the "Save for Web" feature/interface if you don't want them to be mostly bloat.