Originally Posted By: Archeon
But that's not really the problem. UTP cable is relatively cheap, so I might end up with four cables to every room anyway, I don't know... smile

Do it now whilst the walls are open. If you want to add extra in the future then it will be a major job.

As said, the main problem is the TV distribution.

Have the set top boxes all in a central location and distributed out to the TVs around the house. You can get IR receivers to put into each room and then a small transmitter near the set top box so you can still change the channel. If you want to be able to have more TVs watching different channels then you just need to add another set top box.

So for both technologies, you need a set-top box. But my main question is: aren't there decoders out there which can distribute the TV signal, once received, to a number of TV's in the house? If this would exist, I would be saved. I mean, there must be some technology that does this?

You can send the output of a set top box to all the TVs or you can install a switcher so you can select the source you want.

Or how do all those hotels with their dozens of rooms + TV's go about this? They also don't place a decoder per room? Or is that all still based on analogue TV?

The TV is special and has a built in receiver.

Why of why do cable distributors require you to use their own set-top box hardware? This is like returning to the seventies when everybody who switched to cable also had such a box on top of their TV! Wouldn't it be a LOT simple if there simply was a smartcard slot in every Tv, in which you could then slide your smartcard, and then would be given access to all the channels?

Its called CableCARD in the US. I don't think it exists in Europe.

You also can't use a Myth box with digital TV, because all the channels are protected. frown (I'm guessing it does work with Satellite, which is another pro for that technology?)

If you can get a CAM + smart card and also have a receiver card then you can watch encrypted channels. Whether you'll be able to get that CAM is another matter.