SWMBO has a few tape cassettes (~200 of them!) that she wants me to convert into MP3 files.

In the past I have done this in my recording studio using Total Recorder (the paid-for Pro edition) but this has proven less than an ideal situation for several reasons.

First, Total Recorder does not play well with my Tunebite program, and Tunebite is more important to me than Total Recorder.

Second, Total Recorder is too feature-rich. It tries to be everything to everybody and as a result the user interface is far too complex for what should be a simple task of playing a cassette and turning it into an MP3 file.

Third, Total Recorder won't automatically break out the individual songs on the cassette into separate MP3 files. (Yes, I know, it claims to do this but I never was able to make it work.)

So, I'm looking for a better (i.e., simpler, faster, and more automated) way of doing this. I do not want to be in the position of having to baby sit each cassette, listening to them play and manually changing the output file at each song. Nor do I want to end up with 90-minute long MP3 files that I have to go into with an editor and split up after the fact, although that would be preferable to the baby sitting option.

Amazon sells this unit, but after reading the reviews (particularly the 1-star reviews) I wouldn't own it on a bet.

Reading through those reviews, however, led me to Audacity software. Has anybody used this software, and would it, in tandem with my "recording studio", be useful for what I want to do, or are there better (simple, fast, automated) ways to accomplish the task?

tanstaafl.