Yeah, "the whole point" was an overstatement, but there are plenty of other ways to do safe and reliable data backups that don't involve sending data to some third party using their infrastructure. I guess I should have said "the unique feature" rather than "the whole point."

Quote:
I have found that using Google as the hub is always the best way to go, and that things get messy when you try to make something else the root of your information and try to force Google to work with it.

Ah, but you have it backwards. I *want* Google to be the hub. I might use iCal and my phone as the primary interfaces, but I want all the data to reside in Google's cloud, using Google's services as the conduit. It just doesn't work the way it could, or should. All I was asking for were some workarounds or other things to try. This wasn't at all meant as a complaint thread about Google or cloud computing in general (I also use Amazon S3 for storage, so I loves me some cloud), just a request for help on some specific areas where Google has failed me.