Working out kinda ok for mot, though they're not making much money doing it and I suspect they are kinda annoyed that "Droid" wasn't their brand.

Nokia do make some nice hardware, it's just the specs tend to be a bit screwy - like woefully underspecced CPUs. This is likely because they have a platform team that develops phone platforms, and when these are reasonably baked and functional, product teams pick a platform for their phone and build it. Problem is, that sticks a 6-12 month spanner in the "silicon to consumer" timeline...

In general though, I can't see what other options nokia had. Symbian really did suck - designed for a different age when memory was expensive. I wrote the IMAP code for Symbian ER5 (as in the series 5MX and Nokia 7650) and it was a bitch to program for (I'd hack on empeg code on the trains to and from london when I was doing that contract smile ).

Meego... well, let's just say that it had a lot of loose ends and it never seemed to get polished and "consumerised".