Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: tonyc
Hm, somehow I'd never even heard of Moxi. That does seem to be a more elegant solution than the Verizon DVR or the Tivo multi-room feature, but the $300 price tag on the Moxi Mate is ludicrous. If that were closer to $100, I could stomach the $600 price tag on the main unit no problem.

Yeah, that's a pretty ridiculous price. However, it doesn't have the monthly contract, so you make up that cost very quickly.

How do you like the interface, Rob?

The main interface is very similar to the PS3's cross media bar. You have channels, categories of programming (Movies, sports, HD, etc.), games, DLNA, recorded content, and settings on a horizontal bar. When in one of those categories, a vertical bar of your options appears.

This means that channels are not presented in a grid view by default. You can switch to a grid view, but I don't find the need to ever do that. The normal XMB-style interface suits me fine. That said, there is simply too much on the horizontal bar. Live programming is categorized into about 10 different types that cannot be hidden. This makes going from one side of the bar to the other needlessly long. The only category I've ever used is the HD one since my cable operator sticks most HD channels in the 700s. Browsing with the HD category just shows those channels, which is handy.

The Moxi and Mate are DLNA compliant. I have used them with PS3 Media Server running in OS X and it works as well as any other DLNA device. I have Boxee Boxes, so I obviously don't use the DLNA feature at all. Boxee is just a million times better.