For the past 6 months or so I've been running a little solar off-grid power solution at our firework storage container.

It is made up of basically 2 50w solar panels, a Morningstar MPPT charge controller and a Elecsol 100aH battery. It's current purpose is to power a little alarm panel, but I have bigger plans for the system once it is proven a workable solution.

To monitor it, and to also test how well it will stand up to running a CCTV system 24/7 I've also been running a Mikrotik router, with a 3G card running a VPN back home so I can remotely monitor the Morningstar controller.

During the summer the experiment went well, but as the days are getting shorter I am starting to get battery low warnings from the alarm panel. Shutting off the Mikrotik router is currently solving this problem, but I had hoped that I could run at least the router, monitoring hardware and at least once CCTV camera. Clearly I am lacking in capacity and diversity in the system.

Unfortunately due to a quite frankly terrible bit of monitoring hardware from a company called PacketFlux and my inability to get it working with Cacti as it should, I don't have any useful data to play with. Shame as that was the whole point!

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in this type of installation, I am looking to avoid big pitfalls as I am already spending too much on this already.

I think I have already decided to add another battery and change the solar controller to something with built in monitoring (or at least one that can send direct via GPRS). But I was also thinking about adding wind power to the mix, anyone have suggestions ???

Edit - I should also add I plan to run some 12v LED lights from the system as being there in the dead of night with no lighting is just plain scary !!!

Cheers

Cris

Edited by Cris (29/10/2012 10:24)