Very interesting experiment. I've been looking into this too because at a certain point I would like to install solar panels onto the roof of my house. But, contrary to almost all current consumer installations, I do not want to also connect this system to the main grid.

Here in Belgium solar panels were big business, because of all the government grants. A lot a people jumped into this because the were convinced the panels would make them a lot of money. Basically the government would refund you an amount of your installation costs, and also pay you for every 1000 kW you put onto the grid. This seemed like a good deal, but I've never believed in it because I just don't trust the government. I've always said that, once hundreds of thousands of homes have solar panel installations, the government would start taxing them. Turned out I was right, because a couple of months ago they announced such a tax. And I'm pretty sure that tax is only the beginning.

For this reason I do not want to connect my solar panels to the grid. So I've been reading up on the matter. There's a lot of good info on the web, like eg. which battery type to choose etc.

So I never got passed the theory stage (yet), but I also feel there's still a lot to learn before I can install the perfect setup for my use.

With regards to wind power, I've also looked into that. But unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that it's almost never worth it. I don't know how the situation is in the UK, but in Belgium, consumers cannot install turbine master that are higher than 12 meters. I can see why they decided on this number, because higher than that would quickly become very annoying for the neighbours in densely populated areas. Unfortunately, the constant wind speeds you need for a turbine to run reliably are much, much higher than that. In the first 12 meters, the wind is scattered and not constant. There's also a very good chance it will get blocked by surrounding buildings, trees, etc...
So that's one point: wind turbines work best if you live in a rural environment, because you need an open area. Also, for the whole investment to be worth it (read: producing more than break even during the lifetime of the installation, considering the cost) you need a more or less constant wind speed of AT LEAST 4 to 5 m/s (= 8 to 11 mph). This is almost never do-able with consumer turbines, unless you live in rural areas and preferably along the coastline where there's traditionally always more wind.

I've only encountered ONE wind turbine which, due to it's revolutionary design, does not experience most of these drawbacks, and that's the Hybrid turbine by Alex Erauw. What this turbine is capable of doing is unbelievable. For one, it has a Betz rentability of 56%! (the theorectical maximum being 59.3% - Betz Law). Almost all other consumer wind turbines don't even reach a Betz value of 10 to 20%. Read the naked truth about wind turbines here (crappy website, but the info is genuine), or view a video here. The biggest downside of these turbines is they are ugly to look at and they still don't perform miracles, you still need a basic amount of constant wind (4.5 m/s), or it's just not worth it.
A few other videos here, here and here
This is the commercial site of these wind turbines : Dyna.

All in all, Wind power turbines are a lot harder to implement (correctly) than solar panels. It may be worth it, but it depends on a large number of factors. This makes it a big hassle and almost never worth it for consumers (compared to solar), unless you're one of those people who doesn't mind a challenge. smile