My wish list:

1. Do everything automatically for me. I don't want to mess with it, BUT, be capable of making some adjustments if I need to, especially for low-light/indoor pics.
2. Take passable quality video
3. Fast focus/shutter speed - I'd rather have a camera that takes longer to start up and shut down than one that takes forever to focus and take a pic
4. Easily fit in a backpack with a laptop and ipad and a few other gizmos and papers.
5. Reasonably study, because SWMBO has a penchant for breaking expensive electronic gear.

I realize that my wish list may as well involve unicorns and rainbows, but I want to do as well as I can to find something I'm happy with in these areas. I think I've pretty much decided that I'll be shopping in the $250 to $350 range, but I have absolutely no problem buying a used camera from a reputable source, so that opens a lot more possibilities in that price range.

I've been looking around and I think the Canon PowerShot G15 fits my needs pretty well, but is a bit out of my price range. Any suggestions of a camera that is similar but easier on the pocket book?