I'm pretty sure the beef flavour is added in the fries for most countries. It is to compensate for the change to vegetable oil from lard for frying.

I have tried McDonalds in the following countries: Canada (only in Ontario), USA (Mass, NY, NJ, Pensylvania, Ohio), Portugal (Lisboa, Cascais) and Italy (Roma, Firenze, Verona).

They were all the same in flavour, with perhaps only slight difference. Local customs dictate new items on the menus, additional and alternate topings and the names of some of the products. Many European countries are supplied by McD's in the UK (this is the case for Portugal and I can't remember about Italy - I think they had some German and Austrian product packages).

The fries were identical in every McD's I've been to. Sometimes there is a difference in how much they are fried, but that is just an inconsistency that sometimes happens between restaurants. The salt amount also changes. But, McD's fries have always been processed potato. The same as pretty much any other frozen fry. It is not a slice of potato by any stretch of the imagination.

The Royale is a Quarter Pounder in North America. Why the name difference? Ask per Jules and Vern from Pulp Fiction, they don't have pounds in Europe. :)

I don't compare McD's burgers to a real hamburger. It is something that stands on its own and must be enjoyed with all the toppings associated with the specific sandwich (ok, you can make slight alterations, but never have one plain). A real home-made (or that style) burger is a thick SOB that you can east without anything and it should taste great.

That said however, the day I ever touch crap from burger king is the day there's absolutely nothing else around to eat and it's an emergency. YUCK. BK has nothing to touch the BIG MAC. :) And their new fries (to immitate McD's) are really terrible - at least here in Canada.

McD's here in Canada now has new Milk Shakes that are excellent by the way. "Triple Thick" they call them. The flavour is much more natural than the old ones, but also a bit syruppy. There are actually strawberry bits in the strawberry shake. They are VERY (very) rich (ie. seems very fatty).

Ok, so I can enjoy a meal that's over $100 per plate, but I can also sometimes enjoy the most common fast food. :) Now how many of you have any local restaurants like the small Wimpy's franchise here? You can get a burger that is 3/4 pound. Yes, 12oz! It's obviously oval. :)

Bruno

Woohoo! I finally put my Clarion back into my car and just shoehorned the empeg dock in there too! Another couple of weeks and I'll actually have everything connected to listen to "music" :)