Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
Good catch Matt, I missed the Google TV on my read through.

No worries!

Originally Posted By: DWallach
I've got the Sony NSZ-GT1 Bluray player / GoogleTV all-in-one-box. I bought it a year after it came out, when there was a big price drop, because I liked how it integrates with my system. The only other video source is my TiVo, which is routed through the GT1, and thus I never need to use my receiver to switch channels. It's a minor thing, but it keeps things simple.

I bought mine (same exact device) for the same reason and I've been amazed by how much I appreciate that feature. Everyone laughed at the HDMI pass-through idea (and they did again for the XBox One), but it really is nice. I even have a remote that makes it dead simple to change inputs, but I still like not having to do it.

Quote:
The downside of the GT1, aside from its being discontinued and all, is that it's an older Intel platform running a no-longer-supported Android 3.x variant, while newer GoogleTV boxes run Android 4.x.

That is annoying, but I've found that mine performs perfectly fine. I've also been amazed that, as I mentioned earlier, apparently the Plex developers aren't leaving our GoogleTV variant behind! I've seen regular updates over the past couple years I've been using it.

For a while, the only thing I wished was available on GoogleTV was a vudu app, but I've found that other streaming video rental services have caught up on the video quality side.

Quote:
Also, it's pretty clear where the wind is blowing. Chromecast is the future, and it does almost everything I care about.

Actually, the rumors are that Google is going to move to some sort of "Android TV" platform. I think Chromecast is nice, but I still think a set top box like GoogleTV has it's place. I also prefer to have a self-contained device in the home theater so guests can control it themselves.

Quote:
EDIT: detailed technical discussion on xda-developers about Plex vs. Avia.

I'll have to check that Avia out. Thanks!

Quote:
Pondering, pondering: our circa-2008 bedroom TV only has two HDMI inputs, and three devices fighting for space there: another Bluray player, a TiVo mini, and an Xbox 360. I could swap the two Bluray players, moving the GTV box into our bedroom and using it to pass through the TiVo mini. I could then buy a Chromecast stick for downstairs. And, in theory, I could drive everything with Plex. Tempting.

I say go with that!