Originally Posted By: DWallach
I imagine this might just be "your amp is old; get a new one"

I don't think that will fix it. I think that the problem is that the signal to switch is sent at the beginning of the process, but the TV hasn't fully booted up yet, at least not enough to pass the correct signal on to the amp.

I don't know how you're wired up, but that seems like a logical explanation.

I had an interesting thing with this, where it was undesired:

I got a second Chromecast for the TV in the recording studio, and the Chromecast connects to the TV through an HDMI switcher with an audio-out, which then connects to the TV's DVI input plug and its corresponding audio-in. (The TV is pre-HDMI).

Sometimes I would come into the studio to find that the TV had switched itself on during the night, though the screen was black.

After much experimentation, I discovered that if I left the HDMI switch on a non-chromecast input, it wouldn't happen.

It appears as though that Chromecast sometimes sends "wake up" signals to the TV in the middle of the night, even if you're not casting anything. Or perhaps someone's YouTube app on their phone was connecting or disconnecting from the Chromecast in the middle of the night. Or something like that.

It's never happened on our Living Room TV because the Chromecast gets its power from the TV's USB port in that case, and the USB port doesn't provide power unless I turn on the TV.