Dragging up an old thread:

The Google Music app, on my Google TV box, is just total crap. Like, multi-second latency for any button press, sometimes longer. I finally decided I'd had enough and spent $35 on a Google Chromecast. Problem solved! Now I've got to use my amp to switch back and forth between that and the TiVo, versus the old auto-switching stuff, but otherwise it's smooth and functional.

I also ponied up $4.99 for the Plex for Android app, and it seems to do all the right things, streaming from the Plex server on my Mac to the Chromecast on my TV. Despite their entreaties to the contrary, everything seems to work perfectly without requiring you to create a "My Plex" account.

My only real gripes are with the Plex Server, which seemed to miss big chunks of my library. It seems very good at auto-recognizing some of my stuff, but not other things. The solution is to create a "Home Videos" folder, where the files are presented without any attempted recognition.

Sigh.

I was hoping to wait for a potential "Chromecast 2", but the Google Music fail was enough to push me to spend the $35 and be done with it. I figure that, should there be an even better Chromecast, I can always move the current Chromecast to a secondary TV set or otherwise find a use for it. $35 isn't too much of a bother, one way or another.

Also, while I haven't disconnected my GTV box, it's now only going to be serving as a Bluray player. Once it dies, I'll get a generic Bluray player, going these days for under $100. Seems a shame to kill off GoogleTV from the home theater, and there still aren't good Chromecast equivalents for some things, like viewing images from your library, but this will presumably shake itself quickly enough.