It's time I properly digitize my paper life. I spent some time reading about portable scanners with paper feeds. I considered the Canon they recommended, then looked into the Brother model they also mention. Now it's on my desk. Some of the newer features such as wireless scanning to iOS caught my eye.

One key aspect of the Canon and Brother units is their support for TWAIN, meaning any scanner program can talk to them and control them, not just the vendor software.

So that hardware part is done. Now the big challenge, how do I scan and organize my documents so I can find them again? OCR comes to mind, so that I can have full text search. I've started by using the vendor included OCR software, and it generated a PDF where it changed out the scanned image for text. But if I were to reprint the PDF, it would look nothing like the original. So I'm thinking I need some sort of way to scan it and keep the image aspect of the PDF, and have the OCR text included in each page as metadata somehow. That way I can still find documents with full text search, and have the ability to reprint an exact copy if ever needed.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with doing this on OS X?