If it would be helpful I can point you at some online PDF documents I have previously scanned. Mostly instruction manuals with many drawings and some B&W halftone photos.

Or send me a handful of sample documents and I will send back what ABBYY produces from with them smile

The majority of the material I have pushed through my Fujitsu ScanSnap (two different models, currently using an S1500) have been instruction manuals. Many were in the 100-200 page range, double sided.

Very few misfeeds, overall. I have cleaned the feed rollers and rubber friction guides only a few times altogether. Paper dust, mostly.

Feed rate is a few seconds per page (depends on dpi setting, mostly) but the sheet feeder can take a short stack of pages at a time so I just added another bunch every minute or so as the scanner was chewing away on the stack from the bottom. 200+ pages in one go, no problem.

Then the OCR chugs away while I do other things (on or off the computer). I don't recall how long it took for the larger documents, but I recall thinking it was fast enough. Usually by the time I had packed away the original paper document and prepared the next for scanning, the OCR was nearly complete.

For documents of just a page or three, feed times are almost as fast as I can move my hands from dropping them in the input hopper to picking up the emitted pages.

All this is just using a MacBook Air.

Edited by K447 (19/02/2014 23:20)