I have suffered two hard drive failures this week. Actually, I think they failed months, even years ago, but only now have the symptoms become severe enough to make them unusable.

The disks are both 2-TB Western Digital Caviar Green series, neither one with more than 100 hours of actual powered-up time. These are disks used in an external dock, used only for backup purposes. One of them is an off-premises disk, only used three or four times a year for less than half an hour at a time. The other is kept on-premises and used more frequently, but for even less time during each use.

Attached are screen shots of the SMART data that I am not smart enough to understand, other than that the little yellow triangles are not funny-looking happy faces. frown

The computer shop tells me there is nothing that can be done. I'm hoping that someone here (are you listening, Mark?) might know more than they do. Any hope for these drives, or are they expensive paper weights? These drives were both purchased on-line and sent to me here in Mexico. Quite possibly they were not gently treated during shipment.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
L-Drive Failure.jpg

N-Drive Failure.jpg