Hi all,

Some of you might remember this post about me trying to get my touch screen working with a Raspberry Pi. The idea is to use this touch screen as a terminal for my home automation system.

I eventually got it to work, but it turned out the RPi lacked the horsepower to make this a success. Navigating was painfully slow, so I decided to try something else and turned the RPi into an XBMC machine.
So then I tried an ODROID U3, a Banana Pi and a Cubieboard 3. All those were powerful enough to do what I wanted them to do, some even came with Android pre-installed. But they also all failed me, because they were not able to feed the touch screen a proper video signal, so it didn't work. As it turned out, these things works great with a recent tv or monitor, as long as you've got a HDMI interface. My touch screen has only got VGA and DVI, and a converter didn't work. Trust me, I tried several.

So then I decided to bite the bullet and I bought new mini-ITX board with a recent Intel Atom on it (J1900) and 4GB of RAM. I still had a leftover Intel SSD drive laying around, so I was able to set up a completely silent mini-PC. The whole idea was to put Linux on it, AND an Android emulator, which could then run the Android app of my home automation on it. That would be sweet.

So I started by putting the most recent version of Linux Mint (XFCE) on it. That all went pretty smooth. The touch screen was even detected out of the box. Sweet. The only problem is, the calibration is way off. I remembered this from the RPi setup, and I got the "xinput_configuration" utility working. But, as opposed to with the RPi, even after calibration, the screen still is not usable. Bummer.

I figured maybe the drivers weren't very recent. So I checked the eGalax website, and found pretty recent drivers for this model. But now the challenge is getting this driver installed. I was already stumped on page 3, where it tells me to use "make menuconfig" to install and remove a couple of things befor I can install the driver. Whatever I've tried so far hasn't worked. How can I do this?

I would really appreciate it if somebody in the know could have a look at this driver package and give me a few pointers. In the ZIP file you'll find a file called "EETI_eGTouch_Linux_Programming_Guide_v2.5f.PDF" in the /Guide directory which is a how-to for installing this driver.

Thanks a lot!