Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
Many times it is just not worth arguing with some folk, life is too short.

Totally true, but sometimes it's fun smile In this case, I'm working on whether I think I'm right just as much as I'm trying to prove that he was wrong.

Originally Posted By: tonyc
Was this device by any chance the Wink connected home hub, and was the review by any chance this one?

Haha! You nailed it! That's exactly what I was looking at. I'm trying to keep up to date on all the different home automation systems out there, and I was considering picking up a Wink hub to test it out.

Tony F: thanks for some really great thinking on this subject. I hadn't thought about the corporate use of hidden SSIDs as means of simply managing a large number of names. That's a cool idea.

Originally Posted By: tfabris
If WPS supports hidden SSIDs, yet this little "Wink" thing doesn't, then fuck 'em, zero stars review. This is a product that's meant to CONNECT EASILY TO OTHER PRODUCTS. That's the point of the thing. It's Wink's fault if that doesn't work. There are legitimate standard-practice reasons to hide an SSID (even if hiding doesn't prevent penetration), and it's not up to Wink to force someone to unhide their SSID and change their network organization just so their little POS will work. Jesus, just fix it, guys.

Frankly, I can't argue with that, but I still don't think it should be weighed so heavily in a review.

I should point out, but the way, that WPS is insecure, and I'd include that in your proposal to dock a product if it supports MAC address filtering smile