Slogging through the Verge's transcript of the Apple presentation (http://live.theverge.com/apple-iphone-6s-tv-event-live-blog/), we see:

- Cheaper iCloud storage. A buddy of mine is spending a lot of coin there, and he'll be thrilled.

- Next-gen iPhone 6S / 6S Plus: the new shiny is "3D Touch", aka measuring the force with which you touch and behaving differently. One of the snarky Verge comments is that they've invented the right-click. 12 megapixel main camera, 5 megapixel front camera. 4K video. Notably, prices have not come down.

A base-model 6S with 16GB of memory is $199 with a two year contract. A loaded 6S Plus with 128GB is $499 with a two year contract. Now that low-end Android phones are coming in at $199 without contract, and fancier ones are more like $400 without contract, Apple is positioning itself way, way upmarket.

- Next-gen AppleTV, now with "tvOS", which allows you to port iOS stuff to run on the TV. That means that Apple is now competing against Xbox, PlayStation, etc. The remote control has a touchpad and a microphone as well. In short, it's very much "game on" versus Google's Android TV.

- New iPad devices, topping out in a 13" model with optional magnetically-attaching / folding keyboard and pressure-sensitive stylus pen. Fully decked out, it's over $1300. Basically, it's Apple's version of the Microsoft Surface. Among other notables, the bigger screen has enough space that they'll run two apps side-by-side.

- Apple Watch: new watchbands (yawn) and new apps. Intriguing is a live viewfinder for GoPro. That's very cool, especially with the newest, tiniest GoPro being quite inadequate in this regard. Unclear if they're allowing third-party developers to write their own watchface apps or not.

- OS X El Capitan is apparently shipping September 30.

Not present:

- Any new Mac products. I'm particularly curious what's going on when we've got a Macbook with a smaller screen than an iPad.

Curiouser and curiouser:

- The new remote control for the new AppleTV charges via Lightning, not USB-C. No mention on The Verge about what connectors are on the new iPad and iPhone models. I've had fantasies about the world standardizing on USB-C and the one cable to charge them all. Apparently not yet.

Edited by DWallach (09/09/2015 22:19)