Originally Posted By: DWallach
Still... is Apple moving to USB-C or not?

I don't expect the connector to change on the phone or tablet, Apple already caught flack over moving from the decade old 30 pin connector to Lightning 3 years ago.

It is a little odd seeing it pop up on accessories now. The pencil for the iPad Pro makes sense for charging right off the iPad for a few seconds when needed.

The Apple TV remote and the new trackpad/keyboard/mouse charging is a bit strange. The new Apple TV has a USB C port for diagnostic use only, and bundles a USB A to Lightning cable for charging the remote. Charging right off the AppleTV would have been nice, but no USB C to Lightning cable exists yet.

Notable, the new keyboard and trackpad can work in wired only mode. Someone tested turning off bluetooth with them while cabled and they continued to work. Useful for environments that may ban wireless input devices.

*edit* Computer wise, they may be holding off on USB C ports until they can add in Thunderbolt 3. TB3 moves to the USB C connector, and will likely be the point I upgrade off my 2008 Mac Pro to a new Mac desktop. TB3 will have specific support for external GPUs, something Intel wouldn't certify under TB1 or TB2 for some reason.

Edited by drakino (13/10/2015 21:55)