Originally Posted By: Dignan
And Dan, are you actually considering home phone service?

We presently have a POTS line. $30/month to keep a POTS line is quite reasonable, especially given cellular coverage is spotty in our house, and cellular voice quality is sketchy even on a good day. (Mumble grumble. T-Mobile WiFi calling not supported on the Nexus 5. Grumble mumble.)

There are times when it's nice to have an hour or two phone call and know the quality will be consistent the whole way along. POTS does that. Presumably, the VoIP hiding inside their $30 POTS service is going to be good. This is AT&T. 911 will work. Calls will connect every time. I trust AT&T to make telephony work.

It's the privacy violation engine that bugs me, alongside the remarkable cost of opting out of it. Yet this new service would be a massive speedup from my current 18Mbit down / 1.5Mbit up service, particularly the uplink speed, which I really beat on every time I add another gigabyte of photos to my computer and it wants to push my offsite backups.

Furthermore, the Home Theater Upgrade Plan Of Doom includes some sort of 4K television, and that means 4K video streaming, and *that* means I'll want more bandwidth.

At this point, the workaround solution that I'm pondering is setting up some sort of pfSense box connected to my university's VPN service. I have no idea if they're set up to handle the bandwidth, but maybe they *should* be.