I was still in the game when OS X came out and I too was intrigued by it, largely due to it being a *nix variant. I was properly impressed when I brought up a shell on an OS X machine and did a bunch of shell commands. Wow! Now there was an Apple I could get on board with. Somehow I never managed to bring a OS X machine into my life, and I still am dealing with IMG_0001.jpg. Who knows, I might still one day bring an Apple into the house. It would be fun learning the intricacies.

More nightmare material: we distributed various network utilities to people on a single 3.5" floppy disk in the early years. It included things like WinFTP, Eudora, Netscape, and of course, Trumpet Winsock. To make matters worse, I had contrived a DOS batch file to install everything and attempt to get some of the configuration right. What a balled up mess that was! I think that it worked correctly about 1% of the time, due to both my poor scripting skills and other peoples path names, drive letters, etc.

Anyway, I was on the phone helping a nice lady edit non-functioning batch file on her computer. I forget exactly what we were working on at the moment... I told her, "C colon enter."

There was a stunned silence on the other end. "What?!" We immediately burst into laughter, and I don't know about her but I had tears running down my cheeks.

Thank you for taking me back to those earlier days -- great fun.