Originally Posted By: aksnowbiker
I was still in the game when OS X came out and I too was intrigued by it, largely due to it being a *nix variant. I was properly impressed when I brought up a shell on an OS X machine and did a bunch of shell commands. Wow! Now there was an Apple I could get on board with.

I had a similar reaction, and had wandered off to a local Apple Reseller during the launch of OS X. The owner of the place spotted me in Terminal typing commands he didn't understand. Thankfully his intrigue won out over any feelings of "this random person is breaking my demo machine". That resulted in a friendship that lasts to this day, and I've bought all my personal Apple machines from him ever since.

Who knows, I might still one day bring an Apple into the house. It would be fun learning the intricacies.

There's one person that really helped me dig deeper into OS X, even before I had my hands on it. John Siracusa. He's written in depth articles about OS X since the second developer preview in 1999, though sadly he's retired the series with last years 10.10 release.

He still provides great insights and amusement on podcasts he's part of. One of the more amusing aspects is when Cards Against Humanity sponsors a tech podcast he's part of. CAH will send John a toaster oven to review on air in place of a traditional ad read. His cohost offers more details on how this became a thing. http://www.caseyliss.com/2015/9/10/siracusa-on-toasters

Anyway, I was on the phone helping a nice lady edit non-functioning batch file on her computer. I forget exactly what we were working on at the moment... I told her, "C colon enter."

There was a stunned silence on the other end. "What?!" We immediately burst into laughter, and I don't know about her but I had tears running down my cheeks.

laugh