Originally Posted By: tfabris
Also, if it's not the biggest model they make in terms of disk space, then consider shelling out the cash for a phone with more disk space.

Yes. Obviously this is the way to go, but when you're a little strapped for cash it's hard to shell out another $100 to a $200 upfront cost, particularly when you're doing an early upgrade because your wife's HTC One is starting to work really terribly, adding another $100 to the upgrade process. Frankly, I prefer buying the whole phone up front and not paying for the rental, but that wasn't an option at the time either.

It also didn't seem necessary before this generation. I've never had more than 16GB of storage, and never ran out of space this fast. But larger camera sensors, 4K video, and newer apps take up more space.

Quote:
How much is your time worth, to troubleshoot this, versus, how much would it cost to buy a bigger phone?

Meh, I don't mind the time. It hasn't been that hard to free up the space every now and then. The steps I laid out above take a total of about five minutes every 2-3 weeks.

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Delete apps that you are not using.

That's the most likely solution here. She has a bunch of apps she never uses, but I'm not sure she's thought about deleting them. I'll see how much that frees up.

Originally Posted By: drakino
Massive operation to both kill all caches and ensure the filesystem is healthy: Plug the phone into iTunes, and do a local encrypted backup. Restore the phone. Choose to restore the backup when prompted.

Thanks! I'll try that one! Good idea. Hopefully that will fix things and free up some more space.

Quote:
Messages, you are correct they aren't stored in the cloud in a readable way, would break the privacy and secure aspect of them. Odds are attachments may be chewing up a lot of space. If you go into a message thread, and then tap details in the upper right, all past attachments are visible when you scroll down. Press and hold on one to get a More option, and you can mass save them out, or delete them.

Yeah, I figured it was mostly the media that people have texted to her that's taking up the space. Naturally, this wouldn't be any concern if she had even a 32GB phone, which will be the case in the next lifecycle from what I hear.

Does anyone know how much the storage chips in these phones actually cost? I feel like phones should have started at 32GB for a while now...

Edited by Dignan (29/07/2016 01:17)