Originally Posted By: tfabris
Also does your GPS report its current VDOP
No.

But, to reiterate, I am NOT trying to improve the accuracy of elevation readings of my GPS. That is a lost cause.

Instead, I want to find a way to generate good elevation numbers based on the GPS coordinates that I have recorded. Elevation numbers created by something with more precision and repeatability than a hand-held GPS unit.

Google Earth does it, and while their numbers are quite consistent in that the same GPS coordinates will always show the same elevation, in mountainous terrain the number shown can be woefully inaccurate.

Today I recorded elevation information for 14 waypoints that was comprised of: (1) The barometric reading; (2) The GPS satellite reading; (3) The average of all previous readings; and (4) the elevation for those coordinates as reported by Google Earth. I think what I'll do is take the average of those four numbers and call it good. Maybe if one of the four is hundreds of feet different from the others I'll ignore it and average the remaining three. If I end up with elevations that are within 50 feet of the true elevation (how will I ever know?) I'll be happy.

tanstaafl.