Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: tfabris
Google Maps is not likely the source of data you're looking for.
Unfortunately, I am afraid that Google Earth is the only available source of data.

Google Earth isn't the only available data, but it's probably the easiest to digest. If you dislike Google Earth's data for some reason, there are two different types of datasets you can download -- one is called GIS (geographic information system), the other is DEM (digital elevation model). To make any use of those, you'll need some GIS software (QGIS works for me). The GIS datasets you can find will most likely be contour lines -- but at what resolution depends on the data set. The DEM files will be at a much higher resolution, but you'll have to do some work to get the elevation out of them. And honestly, that's probably all the same work that Google Earth (and ArcGIS) have already done. smile

Quote:
The reason I am trying to gather these data is so that I can come up with a reasonable estimate of total cumulative elevation gain, distance traveled, and elapsed time before leading a group hike, so people can evaluate whether or not that particular hike is suitable to their abilities.

Oh, have you tried Gaia GPS, then? It lets you plot a route, and provides an elevation profile of that route, along with estimated trip length.