Originally Posted By: andy
Sadly it would take a lot of work just to work out where the relevant data file for Doug's area is
Sigh... All I want to do is key in a pair of GPS coordinates, and have a reasonable estimate of elevation show up on the screen.

So far Google Earth comes the closest, if I can live with the inaccuracies inherent in their algorithm that interpolates the true elevation between the actual "hard" data points.

I think what I will do is use an average of my data acquisitions and Google Earth, discarding any data that IMHO falls outside the believable range based on how many more or less consistent data I have acquired, my knowledge of where the reading was taken (on top of a ridge or down in an arroyo), how close the barometric vs GPS readings are, and whether the readings were taken on a solo hike where I could spend a minute or two waiting for the numbers to stabilize.

This is hardly a sterling example of Scientific Method, but with the "soft" data combined with my experience and intuition, it will probably be close enough.

tanstaafl.