*sigh* ...

I'm really frustrated at this point. The WD product is also a no-go, and I've figured out why it and the TrendNet device didn't work.

Antiquated radios.

Both devices were completely unable to see the SSID of my wireless network. I found this puzzling, of course, but chalked the problem with the TrendNet device up to a malfunctioning device because it couldn't see ANY radios.

But I tried setting up the WD bridge tonight and it too couldn't see my SSID, though it could see a very weak SSID from one of my neighbors. I believe that the TrendNet didn't see it because that was a much smaller device with a weaker radio.

After much searching online, it looks like several people have complained about the radio in the WD My Net AC being outdated and unable to connect to the higher channels on the 5GHz range. Apparently if your router isn't broadcasting in the 36-40 range, it's invisible. A quick check with WiFi Analyzer shows that my Google WiFi and OnHub are broadcasting on channel 149, with no way of changing it.

Ugh.

So the search is on for an even narrower product category than I was looking for already. I may have to switch to routers running DD-WRT after all.

This sucks. The WD device would have been perfect.