What is the controller-layout for the drives?

I am pretty sure that the two 40GB drives share a common controller (they are on the same cable) and that the CD-ROM drive is on the same controller as the floppy drive.

Finally, DriveImage is meant for creating a data-compressed image of a hard disk

Actually, unless I am misinterpreting the instruction manual, data compression is optional (and slower), and the default is to make an exact byte for byte copy from one drive to another. (The program will also make a copy of a partition to the same drive.)

...partition-to-partition copying abilities. For that, one usually uses PowerQuest's "Partition Magic.

Really? I thought that Partition Magic was what you used for resizing existing partitions without losing the data in the partitions, not copying/creating new ones, but I have never actually used that program so don't know for sure.

I guess the test will be to go to DOS mode and as an experiment use XCOPY /S/E/ to copy the drive and see how long that takes, just as a comparison.

I am expecting my copy of "Ghost" to arrive any day now ($13.15 on ebay!) so I'll soon see if that runs any faster.

As long as we are off topic... here's another. My internet service at work (cable modem) for the past several days has been very flaky -- It runs slower and slower until (for example) bbs messages here take as much as 2--3 minutes to display, and finally stops. Our chief engineer then goes up and reboots something (can you reboot a router?) and everything is fine again for a few minutes and then it starts slowing down again. This cycle takes about an hour, perhaps two hours to run. He thought it was a bad router, replaced it, problem still remains. Any ideas?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"