the CD-ROM drive is on the same controller as the floppy drive

Unlikely, as most floppy drives aren't IDE devices and get their own unique connector on the motherboard. Usually, the CD-ROM is on one of the IDE connectors. Unless you have a SCSI CD-ROM...

I thought that Partition Magic was what you used for resizing existing partitions without losing the data in the partitions, not copying/creating new ones, but I have never actually used that program so don't know for sure.

It does both, and more.

I guess the test will be to go to DOS mode and as an experiment use XCOPY /S/E/ to copy the drive and see how long that takes, just as a comparison.

As long as you only use it as a test. Don't use this method long-term, expecting to make a run-able operating system on the other drive. There's more to it than just copying the files. You'll lose certain stuff in the copy that'll break the Windows installation on the second drive.

(can you reboot a router?)

Yes. They are computers, too.

He thought it was a bad router, replaced it, problem still remains. Any ideas?

If he replaced it with the same brand of router, he should also check to make sure he's got the latest firmware for that router.

It could be some other component in the chain. Is there a separate firewall or proxy server in the mix? Our DSL modem here at work sometimes goes down and I have to reboot it.