Originally Posted By: tfabris
Thanks to this new and interesting news:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8339158

I no longer have a working docking station solution for dual external monitors. I updated my Mac OS without knowing that it would break my external HDMI monitors.

I have a special need which requires me to have the ability to swap out which laptop I'm using on my dual monitors on my home desk. I swap between my home laptop, my work laptop, and my mac, depending on the situation. When all three devices supported DisplayLink, it was easy, I could just plug them into the dock. Now... not so much.

... the second DisplayLink display just goes black.

I could ... have four monitors I suppose ...

.... I had a working system that I was happy with, even though it was kinda frankenstein, it worked, and now a software updated fried it all.
I used a DisplayLink USB 2.0 docking station for several years with my MacBook Air. While it ‘worked’, every single macOS update brought risk of problems, if not complete unusability. Eventually the problems would get resolved and I could have both external screens working again.

The DisplayLink support forums for Mac had a general sadness, with familiar postings of known problems, and monthslong threads waiting for a software update fix.

When I was finally able to buy the first generation of Mac compatible Thunderbolt 3 docking stations, I was happy to unplug that DisplayLink thing and set it aside.

There is a USB 3.0 DisplayLink chipset which is supposedly better supported (but see above). I have not used one, and have no interest in spending any more time trialing DisplayLink driver software and firmware, often only available as Beta and sometimes ‘released’

I do have four external displays connected to a single computer, but only two during my DisplayLink era.

Edited by K447 (05/04/2018 02:58)