Originally Posted By: K447
I also have my MacBook open in front/below the external displays. I also upgraded to 4K screens a year ago and highly prefer them over the HD (1600x1200) I had before. Font sizes are not a problem as the Mac lets me scale the UI to suit my (not so young anymore) eyes.

Yes, the Mac is much better about font and icon size scaling than Windows is. Windows is trying hard to get better, but I still run into tons of problems with it. For example, let's say I'm on the Mac and I'm remote desktopping into a Windows box, and I want to increase the scaling on the Windows screen, Windows literally won't let me change the scaling in RDP mode. Other times, I run into problems where the scaling is wrong depending on whether I booted the Windows box while docked to an external screen or whether I booted the laptop on its own screen, and then when I dock, not all the scaling settings change back to where they should be. And then there's a problem with older applications which don't respect the scaling, etc.

So since I still use Windows in the mix for various things, I still prefer a screen that's at about 1920x1080 rez so that when the scaling screws up I can still read things. The 1080p resolution is a perfect sweet spot for my eyesight, balancing the amount of data I can fit on the screen at once with the average size of the text of most programs.

Quote:
I considered buying super wide displays but found that the vertical resolution was not much better than plain old HD.

Which would be a good feature for me.

Quote:
For my use case curved screens introduced a visual effect that I disliked.

Aha, that's a really good point. I could see the curved screen being great for gaming, or for watching Cinerama type movies in ultra wide screen. But for any kind of graphical editing, CAD, desktop publishing, or coding, anything where parallel lines are important, I could see the curve potentially really screwing me up.

And it looks like all the ultra wide screens are curved, so, that's a no go for me.

Originally Posted By: andy
Don't say I didn't warn you wink cry

Fair point!

In the meantime, I got things working well again last night.

Temporarily I connected the Mac to two monitors using one each of these, which I already had on hand:
Anker USB-C to HDMI Adapter
Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

Works, but a little unwieldy. I ordered one of these same-day:
Plugable Thunderbolt 3 Dual HDMI 2.0 Display Adapter
... And that works too.

Interesting side note. I also have a weird frankenstien setup where I pipe one of the HDMI outputs through a DVI splitter box (using DVI-HDMI adapter plugs) so that my main 1080p monitor is also echoed to an old LCD TV parked just outside the recording booth. With this old scheme, it used to work fine, the 1920x1080 output would simply appear duplicated on the TV. The TV would scale down the 1080-line image to its native resolution (720p) and it would be enough for me to control the DAW when I was solo-tracking in the booth, and when I went back to the desk to work with the DAW in detail, it would be the same screen, just sharper because it was at native 1080 resolution instead of scaled down for the TV set.

With the new adapters, that scheme no longer succeeds. Something about either the video adapters, the splitter (I have two different ones and tried both), or the new OS update, prevents it from working the way it used to. Now the Mac will only use the lowest common denominator resolution between the displays going through the DVI splitter, and I can't force it back up to 1080 (even with the "Alt+click on Scaled" trick on the Mac). So my desktop screen was only running at 720p, the TV's resolution, which wasn't livable, I needed my 1080-line sweet spot at my desk.

So for now, I'm using a combination of the Plugable dual-HDMI adapter going to my two desktop 1080 monitors, and also the Apple AV Multiport adapter for power, USB docking, and also its HDMI cable goes straight to that LCD TV outside the booth (no splitter any more). So now it's actually three independent external displays instead of two plus a splitter. And they all run at their native resolutions. So this is actually pretty good.

For the Windows PC side of things, the DisplayLink dock still works great and I have it going into different inputs on the two 1080p monitors. The monitors have DVI and HDMI inputs, and the Mac now goes into the HDMI inputs and the DisplayLink dock goes into the DVI inputs, and so I just switch between the inputs depending on which machines are hooked up at the time.

So I've got it all working now, though I'm waiting on some extra cables to make the connections a bit cleaner. And I still want to get a nice Thunderbolt 3 docking station to bring everything down to a single wire connection to the Mac.