When we went shopping for our TV, our original intention was to get a Wega. I had it all worked out ahead of time. Those are good sets, and if you're dead-set on a tube 4:3 television, it's hard to go wrong with a Wega.

Oddly, it was my wife who decided on the rear projector while I was looking at the Wegas in the showroom.

Her reasoning was as follows: The only reason we wanted a new TV was because we were sick of our tinly little screen for watching letterboxed DVD movies. We wanted a bigger screen so that we could watch widescreen movies without squinting.

Well, as nice as they were, even the biggest of the tube-screen Wegas were still small for watching widescreen DVDs. When compared to the 16:9 rear projectors, it looked positively tiny. And this was compared to the smallest of the 16:9 sets, which was 46". And the price worked out to be about the same as the biggest Wega. I'm glad she wanted the Mits, because "DVD nights" are amazing now.

When we first put the 16:9 set in the living room, we thought it was too big. But you'd be surprised how quickly they shrink!!! Now I'm secretly wishing I'd gotten a 55" or a 65"...