Yup, just as I thought. A European connection standard, not available over here.

Yeah, SCART is European only. You can get a set in North American (imported), but then you also need all the compatible gear to go with it. We've got all sorts of goodies like this at work, but that's not the team I'm involved with, so I don't use them. I do have a voltage-switching PAL/NTSC UK Sony set that I play with though. Haven't tried the scart connector because I don't have any scart sources.

A large number of sets in Europe support an anamorphic mode (4:3 sets). This is not the case for North America.

However, if you've got a 4:3 set in NA, you *can* go into the service menu and then start playing with the screen yourself. Then you have to set your DVD player to 16:9 so it doesn't scale the image down vertically. I did it as a test on my 32" JVC D-Series, but it's obviously way too much of a pain the ass to do on a regular basis. Not to mention that if you forget exactly how your service menu was set up, there's no way to restore it. :)

Bruno