Pocket PC debuted with a new version of CE which dropped the CE name (can't remember which version, but it might have been the Rapier codename). The new moniker came around the begining of 2000 - right when I registered the "mypocket.com" domain name :).

WinCE 1.0 was on HPC (Handheld PCs) - the ones with the keyboard that sucked. At that time I was using a Newton MP2000 which was far and away better than everything else (except for its larger size). Come on, no one that values the excess of the empeg can sit here and tell me they find anything admirable about PALM?

The first hand-held WinCE machines were Palm PC for a brief time - until 3COM said something about the name - at the time, PALM machines were still PALM PILOT - the company was 3COM/PALM, the product was the PILOT. Then the name was changed to Palmtop PC I believe. PPC for short. Does the Philips Nino ring a bell? The Everex Freestyle? I think these ran CE2. Then the first colour units came - I still remember breaking the story on the Compaq Aero for CNet and a well-known PDA site (months before it was released :) These may have been the first with CE3.

Anyway, now I'm dragging it on a bit. I've always disliked Palm's text input plus its wasteful use of screen space (the whole input area toward the bottom). Being used to a Newton, the newer CE machines were starting to "get-it"

And now, like the Newton, all PocketPC machines are using StrongARM. (thought I'd wrap it up on an empeg-esque note :)

Bruno