>Hey Guys,
>
> I'm picking up my new MX-5 this afternoon, and specifically left the CD player out so I can
> install a spanky-new empeg.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on installing an empeg in a new MX-5?
>
> Like Dean, I have little interest in running a rave in the cabin, but would like to be able to
> appreciate the $AU1500 I'm gonna be spending, so don't mind if I have to spend a couple of
> hundred on an amp.
>
> Any comments/experience appreciated, but as I'm #7000 or so, I've got some time to muddle
> about on this one..
>
> Cheers!
> Karl
> Sydney, Australia.

Karl, Congratulations on your new car. The MX-5 is a well-made, economical, very fun car. You may
be curious to visit Miata.net.

I've had my Empeg installed in my '94 Black and Tan for a few weeks now. I replaced the OEM
unit with the Empeg player, dropped a modest amp in the trunk, and upgraded the door speakers
with a set of component speakers.
--

If I'd realized how badly the Empeg tuner was I might have kept my OEM unit just for listening to
FM radio. Hopefully the antenna amp and the s/w upgrades they're sending out (soon?) will address that
situation.

The amp takes up half of the little pit in the trunk. I got a 70watt x 4 Crossfire.They built a little
enclosure for it covered with matching black carpet, it looks like it was installed at the factory and
takes a minimal amount of the already tiny trunk.

The speakers were Focal Ligne Zephirs. The tweeters hang at the top-outside of the footwells and
aim up at the occupant's heads. The original speaker covers hide the new speakers. You have to
look very closely to notice anything out of the ordinary.
--

The totall install was $800 US. The result is exactly what I wanted: it's not likely to impress
an audiofile but it sounds great and is loud enough to be clearly heard top-down, at speed. =)
--

The stereo guys had nothing to replace the tiny left and right channel speakers in the headrests.
I really don't think they'd ever seen anything like that. When I have some $$$ I'll buy the MX5
headrest speaker upgrade available from Clearwater. I skipped the bass for now but will probably
buy a small powered bass unit similar to the one that Hugo mentioend elsewhere on this thread.
I may tuck it under the glove box like his or back in one of the tunnels behind the seats.

The only other thing that I might change would be to get a green, instead of blue, screened Empeg
to more closely match the Miata illuminated console (they tell me I can ship it off to US support and they'll
switch for $40 US) and I wish the Emepg was brighter or had a more streamlined UI. As it is, during a sunny
day with the top down it's nearly impossbile to read the Empeg screen.

Mine is a pretty subdued setup but I'll try to get some photos online soon if anyone is interested.

Best luck.

yours, Dean