Well, I finally got my empeg, and suddenly that stereo upgrade became a priority. The empeg (S/N 0150/Green/10GB) is installed in the top of the stereo opening. My car (a '90) has had a couple of head units in its history, most recently a Kenwood KDC-8009 that I had originally intended to keep installed when the empeg came. Below the '8009 is/was an amateur rig. (Kenwood TM-742A, for those who care)

I stared at the opening, and since I couldn't find another good location for the amateur rig's control head, I replaced the '8009 with the empeg. I'll miss KCBS (AM), but I suppose NPR is a suitable replacement. ;)

I picked up an Alpine Flex4 amp and tucked it behind the passenger seat for the moment. There's already a fair amount of electronics in the trunk (VCR for the bumpercam I use at the track) and trunk tunnels (amateur transciever, CB transceiver, intermod filters). Eventually, I'll build a false floor in the trunk and stuff all the "avionics" under there. I'll either a) bridge both halves of the amp, or b) bridge the rear channels into a sub. Hugo mentioned tucking a sub up under the glovebox, and I've heard several people have put JL Audio Microsubs up under there with good success.

The sled fit perfectly in the upper dash opening, using a generic install kit that I'd picked up for the previous Kenwood. The kit had some side plates that provided rails to slide the sled into, and the flange and tabs on the sled hold it flush with the dash faceplate. The wiring to/from the amp is tucked into the center console, and sneaks out under the carpet.

Speakers are the next upgrade, but the empeg sounds pretty good through the Infinity RS's that are in the doors. Need more bass, though. ;)

There's a touch of alternator whine, but I did leave out the inline filter (it was late) that came with the empeg. I'll cut that in and see if it goes away.

The empeg has survived 35W at 440MHz, haven't tested 2m (50W) or 11m (CB: 4W) yet, perhaps tomorrow.

Questions welcome....

-Zandr
Certified Nut ;)

Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.