Can anyone duplicate this behavior?

My friend Tod has been having his player lock up regularly while it's playing on his desk. For a while, I assumed it was just the known lockup bug in 2.0 beta 7.

But he downgraded to 1.03 and still gets occasional lockups, although less frequently. Perhaps there are two separate things causing lockups.

We think it might be USB-related because he usually has the USB cable plugged in, and he had one player lockup which also locked up his USB "Strategic Commander" input device. He's going to try leaving his USB cable unplugged for a while to see if that stops the lockups.

Today, with 1.03, he said the music stopped playing and the front-panel stopped responding, but the visual kept scrolling (although without musical input). Does this last one sound like a disk drive or cable problem? He hasn't had the unit freeze-on-boot as far as I know, reboots always seem to fix the trouble for him.

I explained to him that with 1.03, there should never be a lockup. I was able to play my player for literally MONTHS without a lockup on 1.03. He said he didn't believe me and that there's got to be other people with the same problem. Anyone else have this trouble besides the DOA/Drive-cable people?

My next plan of attack will be the swapping of the disk position to the second head on the drive cable. Anyone else agree that's the correct next step?