Tony,

I've reported this last week on this board, but maybe you've missed it (doubtful, more likely you forgot you've read it ).

I too have gotten lockups with 1.03. On my unit (a Rio60gig), only a plain developer image was installed. No kernel hacks.

The player has locked up on me on a ratio of once in 1-2 days. I wasn't able to reproduce the problem on demand. It seemed very random. It wasn't related to a certain file whatsoever.
The unit locked up on me in both the car and at home. Each time it required unplugging the power and having it reboot cold.
I've upgraded to 2.0 beta 11 last week and have not experienced the problem since. I hope it's solved for me now.

I doubt it has something to do with USB because I haven't used the USB connector on the unit even once.

I might be a bad cable because I've ordered 3 more 60 gig players and I guess they all came from the same batch (serial #'s that weren't to far apart from each other). All other 3 units required a new HD cable because the HD's simply wouldn't mount. I thought I was lucky to have a least ONE unit work correctly without having to open it and swap the HD cable.
Then again, it might not have been the cable at all. Because as said before, upgrading to b11 solved it for me (up til now anyway - touch wood)

I'm sorry I can't give you a solution or pinpoint the cause of the problem.