None of the three different 2-prong Empeg transformers is polarized, so they probably won't care, but it seems like it would be a nice idea to switch the "hot" lead on AC, eh?!?! (Hmmmm, or does it matter? In DC you can switch the ground with the same effect...and you can certainly have both switched in AC. Anybody?)

it's more of a safety issue than anything else. when you're wiring your car amp to your battery, you put the fuse as close as possible to the battery, right? that way, if a short should occur in the system, the fuse will prevent the car from igniting.

the same thing is going on here. if you were to switch the neutral wire instead of the hot, you have the possibility that a short will develop somewhere between the hot wire and ground. of course, you have circuit breakers in your house to prevent fires, but it could still cause a nasty shock.

If the transformer is constantly plugged in, but there is no draw on it, how much power does it consume? I had the notion that it would only draw significantly if it was serving a load (the Empeg). If I had a shunt of some sort I guess I could measure that, but I don't.

it draws the same amount of current whether a load is present or not.

--dan.