i understand about the database error side of things... after i did that i returned the drives to how they DID work, like you said - the master (with all the music, and the original database and whatnot) is the ibm, like from factory. then the fujitsu sucker is on slave. thats how i left it, and it has been temperamental

when i got home i opened it up and was about to start swapping all the units over, all i had done was sorta jiggle the ide cable about and press all the connections in again (nothing moved, they were all in fully), and just decided to try to power up - it worked!! without changing any drive order or resynching or anything. after test booting it a couple of times i seem now to have a fully working player, once again. one would have to assume, dodgy IDE cable connection somewhere along the line? id hate for this to crop up again in a few days, brought on by vibrations in the car...

could you direct me where to go to find out about ordering a replacement cable, OR like i said before, can i simply use a generic laptop style cable instead? just in case my problems have stemmed from the ide cable

anyway all seems ok for now so we'll see.

you other guys who have been having this problem - have you all sorted out the issues as well? what are your findings?