Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#122023 - 21/10/2002 02:40 extended codepage fonts in emplode
enlightner
new poster

Hi,

I'm trying to implement cyrillic fonts on the empeg. I have modified the fonts using the Rio Font Editor. Now when I upload a song with cyrillic id3 tags, it displays correctly. However, when I create a playlist in emplode, the characters display correctly as I'm typing them, but as soon as I hit enter, they are changed to question marks. On the empeg this playlist will also be displayed as a series of question marks.

Has nayone encountered this problem, or knows how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

#122024 - 21/10/2002 03:29 Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode [Re: enlightner]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I think you may be trying to apply a simple solution to a complex problem. The 2.0 player branch and its version of emplode have not been internationalised. I would like to see our fully internationalised version make it into a car player build some day, offering Unicode/UTF8 throughout the UI and database.

Rob

#122025 - 21/10/2002 04:18 Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode [Re: enlightner]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I'm trying to implement cyrillic fonts on the empeg. I have modified the fonts using the Rio Font Editor. Now when I upload a song with cyrillic id3 tags, it displays correctly. However, when I create a playlist in emplode, the characters display correctly as I'm typing them, but as soon as I hit enter, they are changed to question marks. On the empeg this playlist will also be displayed as a series of question marks.

What version of Windows? On Windows 98/ME, it stands a chance of accidentally working, as long as your system codepage (which is presumably CP866, not ISO8859-5) is the same as the codepage you made your empeg fonts for. On Windows NT/2000/XP, Emplode is probably getting thrown Unicode (>U+00FF) characters that it doesn't know how to deal with.

As Rob implied, we hope to solve this problem the right way in the future (i.e. post-2.0), so that the same empeg can correctly display Cyrillic, Latin-1, and other character sets from a single large font.

Peter

#122026 - 21/10/2002 05:50 Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US

#122027 - 21/10/2002 06:11 Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Tengwar?

Apart from the fact that that extension hasn't been ratified yet, Tengwar is like Arabic in that considerably more glyphs are needed to display it than to represent it -- you need extra glyphs for characters with combining diacritics, not least because two or more diacritics can apply to the same character (e.g. U+E00C U+E040 U+E045 U+E05C is one glyph). The work involved in generating those glyphs, or in putting enough intelligence into the font engine to construct those glyphs on-the-fly, isn't likely to appear on Sonicblue's product roadmap any time soon :-(

Peter

#122028 - 21/10/2002 06:23 Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Come on! This is obviously where you need to be spending your software development time!

#122029 - 21/10/2002 09:21 Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode [Re: enlightner]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
enlightener, as a work-around, have you tried this?

Instead of creating the playlist by hand, name a folder on your hard disk that name, then drag and drop that folder onto emplode. This bypasses the hand-input of the characters and might work around this issue.

#122030 - 17/06/2003 23:16 Re: extended codepage fonts in emplode [Re: enlightner]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

So now that I've already posted mine, I just found this thread.

I've not had any problems with playlist names in emplode (WinXP) nor in the menus on the player (2.0b11). But then I saw Tony's comment about naming a folder and dragging that in to Emplode, not an m3u... and that's exactly what I did. I've not tried any .m3us with cyrillic titles.

BTW, did you write a large cyrillic font? I only have medium and small so far