Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15084 - 23/08/2000 08:51 Woohoo!!
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well my time has finally come. I got that same feeling so many others have had opening their packages. I was still suprised to see how small it is! Incredible!

The funny thing about the delivery is that it was in Washington when I was in Williamsburg. I drove 2 hours and 160 just to pick it up by hand and have it a day early (oh yeah, and the drive usually takes 2 and a half hours, but you understand). I also came back so I could get it installed and I've dropped off my van at the installation place this morning.

I had a few things I want to ask about the empeg.
1) When I had it hooked up to my home stereo, I put the volume at 0 dB like I've read you should do. This resulted in no sound at all. I then turned it up almost all the way and then had to turn the knob on my reciever up far past normal. I first connected the RCA plugs to the back of the reciever and then to the line in on a VCR and found the same results in both places. What am I doing wrong?

2)Also with the empeg hooked up at home, I noticed a screen flicker. Not really a flicker, but more like a quick dimming of the display. Should I be worried?

3)Is there a way to quickly change the info type while watching visuals with the remote? Say I'm watching a full-screen visual. Do I have to always do the series of button presses that takes me there? I know you can shortcut it by using the numbers, but that's still alot of keystrokes just to see the name of the song you're listening to. Is there not a button that will either quickly flash the track name or rotate through the info types?

That's about it. I had to drop off the empeg with the installers and I miss it already. They're probably having a blast with it as I write this

Thanks empeg!

DiGNAN

#15085 - 23/08/2000 09:01 Re: Woohoo!! [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
CD-MD-CH cycles through the info modes.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#15086 - 23/08/2000 10:37 Re: Woohoo!! [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
When I had it hooked up to my home stereo, I put the volume at 0 dB like I've read you should do. This resulted in no sound at all. I then turned it up almost all the way and then had to turn the knob on my reciever up far past normal. I first connected the RCA plugs to the back of the reciever and then to the line in on a VCR and found the same results in both places. What am I doing wrong?

Assuming that you're using all the home inputs and not the sled, and assuming the inputs on your stereo are line-level, then this is not normal. The only time this ever happened to me was when I had the fader set wrong (all the way to the rear) and plugged it in at home.

As a result of that stupidity on my part, Empeg implemented a feature where the fader is automatically set properly for in-home use and then locked out. So that shouldn't be it. (Unless a new bug has crept into this feature. Guys?) Also make sure the player software is version 1.0- there was a bug in earlier versions that sometimes made a mistake regarding whether it was in the house or in the car. You can check by looking for a "fader" option under the sound menu.

Check your cabling first of all. Make sure another device works in the same receiver inputs.

One concern I have: You said you put it to "0db", but then you said you turned it up "almost all the way". But 0db is almost all the way up. 0db is the highest it'll go without going into overdrive. Are you sure you set it to 0db?

#15087 - 23/08/2000 10:54 Re: Woohoo!! [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

One concern I have: You said you put it to "0db", but then you said you turned it up "almost all the way". But 0db is almost all the way up. 0db is the highest it'll go without going into overdrive. Are you sure you set it to 0db?

Me = stupid

I'm not familiar with these things, and I guess I thought that minus sign was a spacer of some sort or I didn't notice it. Any idea's about the screen.

And thanks Roger for the info thing.

DiGNAN

#15088 - 23/08/2000 12:04 Re: Woohoo!! [Re: Dignan]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
I noticed the screen thing too, before my empeg completely broke this afternoon.

Sean

#15089 - 23/08/2000 12:14 Re: Woohoo!! [Re: Terminator]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

You're kidding! rob, anything about this? Hugo?

DiGNAN

#15090 - 23/08/2000 12:18 Re: Woohoo!! [Re: Dignan]
Terminator
old hand

Loc: Dallas, TX
No kidding. I think it may be bad ram again cause it runs fine for a little while then starts rebooting constantly. I already emailed them both with the error logs. I just got mine this morning too. I think its 8:15 over there right now, so theyre probably both at the pub and ill have to wait till tomorrow. Oh well at least I have 2 more classes tonight to take my mind off of the empeg.

Sean

#15091 - 23/08/2000 12:38 Re: Woohoo!! [Re: Dignan]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Only just got the email - the ram test isn't showing anything bad (in the logs I was sent).

Hugo