Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#165243 - 12/06/2003 02:00 Pointers for making a new font?
TheAmigo
enthusiast

This thread seems dead I've not seen hybrid8 around in a long time (and I've been pretty scarce myself)...

I've now accumulated enough Russian music that I'd like to have a cyrillic font on the empeg. I'm willing to do the work myself, but I don't know where to start. My main motivation is that trying to write Russian titles in latin letters doesn't yield one right way (everyone makes up their own approximation).

The main pointers I need to get started are:
- Is there software to edit/create a font file?
- How do I install a custom font on the empeg?

I can already see one problem. Searching from the remote won't work ...unless someone else has a remote that can type "Руки Вверх"

Edit: I guess the BBS doesn't like cyrillic either.

Edited by TheAmigo (12/06/2003 02:07)

#165244 - 12/06/2003 05:35 Re: Pointers for making a new font? [Re: TheAmigo]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Come on, just admit your Tatu addiction and we can help you!

#165245 - 12/06/2003 11:49 Re: Pointers for making a new font? [Re: cushman]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

While I do like their music (ok, the videos too), they're less of a problem than other groups... half of their songs I have are in English (albeit poorly translated).

#165246 - 12/06/2003 22:16 Re: Pointers for making a new font? [Re: TheAmigo]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I post every now and then... I wish I could remember off the top of my head how to write and compile the fonts... But fortunately I don't have to. Cypher wrote a font editor a while back. There was a recent update thread about it in the General forum. You should be able to find a link to it from riocar.org. The utility will make it much easier to do the work, so give it a shot. There should be instructions on how to replace the player font with the program. If there isn't, the information should be available here if you search a bit. It's easy enough to upload using FTP if running Hijack. Otherwise you'll need to use a terminal program, connect to the player's shell and upload the file(s).

Bruno

#165247 - 13/06/2003 05:59 Re: Pointers for making a new font? [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You should be able to find a link to it from riocar.org.
Yeah, it's covered in this FAQ entry. First one that comes up in the list if you search on "Edit Fonts".

#165248 - 16/06/2003 20:13 Re: Pointers for making a new font? [Re: hybrid8]
TheAmigo
enthusiast

Ok, got it (as noted here). The small and medium came out pretty good (some room for improvement, but they're quite readable.

The problem I have now is that I apparently don't know what the large font is used for. I did a quick copy & paste job to get a large font (some letters look pretty bad, but I'll worry about that later). The problem I have is that the visuals with scrolling text aren't using the large.bf font I uploaded. Is that a hidden file somewhere?
(see attchment comparing desired display with actual)

It's not that much of a problem, I can just avoid those visuals. I'm quite happy that the menus and track info display playlist/song titles properly with the new font.

Attachments
164294-Краски.jpg (99 downloads)